Share | 

U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keevan 0
Non-Administrating Community Manager

Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 pm

FROM G4: War and cigarettes have a long and fabled history. Lucky Strike was practically an unofficial sponsor for American soldiers during World War II, and that brand will forever be tied to that period in history. Well, it seems that the U.S. Army is looking to distance itself from this longstanding association, with a little help from our good pal videogames.

The Texas Medical Center reports that a new anti-smoking game, Project Combat, is being developed by behavioral scientist Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D. at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. The game is based on another Prokhorov-designed anti-smoking game, Escape with Your Life, and is being funded by the U.S. Department of Defense for a cool $3.7 million (I bet there are quite a few game developers who would take up smoking to secure that kind of budget for one of their games).
In case you were curious, here's what the 2,000 soldiers who have signed up to test the game in Fort Hood, Texas have to look forward to:
"Project Combat will feature animation, audio, video and interactive activities that provide facts about smoking and tobacco use, as well as a customized Avatar that guides the player through the program. Players walk through conflicts such as resisting peer pressure, coping with withdrawal symptoms and preventing relapses."
Am I the only one who sees great potential for this game in terms of Project Natal/Sony's motion-control technology? Whenever players feel the urge to smoke they can just jump in front of their TVs, pick out a nice comfy spot in a virtual smoking section, and virtually puff away. Actually, the game will include a feature to assist with preventing soldiers from relapsing, although the specifics of how that feature will work weren't revealed, which leads me to believe that I'm dead on with my ridiculous motion-censing prediction.

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol/
Polarsun
First Editor
First Editor

Number of posts : 1845

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:53 am

Keevan 0 wrote:
(I bet there are quite a few game developers who would take up smoking to secure that kind of budget for one of their games).
You do realize that is saying they would start smoking to get money for an anti-smoking game...

Anyway, sounds kinda weird. Anti-smoking game? It just seems way to off-beat
Back to top Go down
Keevan 0

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Be aware i didnt write this article.
Back to top Go down
Polarsun
First Editor
First Editor

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:08 pm

I know. I wasnt saying it was not-true im just saying its just a weird waste of money in my view. 3.7 million? Thats an awful lot
Back to top Go down
Toddster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3148

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Killzone 2 used $21 million, so it's not much compared to that. This game sounds really weird...not something I will get lol.

First Editor
First Editor

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:20 am

21 Million? Wow....games are costy I\'m Seriously shock
Back to top Go down
Keevan 0

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Well Todd's talking in Australian dollars. Shocked
Back to top Go down
BassetMan

Number of posts : 3815

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 am

Either way Todd... Look how many KZ2 copies were sold. There were tons of people waiting for the release of that game. They were definately going to make a profit. This game wont make a profit guranteed.

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game   

Back to top Go down

U.S. Army spends $3.7 Million on anti-smoking game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1