AuthorMessage
Keevan 0
Non-Administrating Community Manager

Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Study finds pathological behavior can cause children real problems
By Karen Pallarito, HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, April 20 (HealthDay News) -- A sizable number of young video game players -- fully 8.5 percent -- exhibit signs of addiction to gaming, a new study has found.

These kids aren't just playing a lot. Their gaming interferes with school performance, disrupts interaction with family and friends and poses health problems, the study reveals.

Douglas A. Gentile, a developmental psychologist and an assistant professor at Iowa State University in Ames, said the study is the first to document the prevalence of video game addiction using a nationally representative sample of children and adolescents.

"What's most concerning to me is really the total percentage, just the vast number of kids that are having real problems in their lives because they play games, and they may not know how to stop it," said Gentile, whose study appears in the May edition of Psychological Science.

Experts don't agree on whether such a thing as "video game addiction" really exists. At present, it is not listed as a mental disorder in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The next update of that manual, which describes criteria for diagnosing various psychiatric disorders, is due out in 2012.

"I think we're at the same place now with video gaming as we were with alcoholism 40 years ago," said Gentile, noting that decades of research finally showed that alcoholism is a disease.

When Gentile began studying video game addiction in 1999, he, too, was a skeptic. "Addiction has to mean you're damaging your functioning and not just in one area of your life," he said. He was surprised to see that, in fact, the data showed that kids were exhibiting that level of damage.

The new study is based on data from a nationwide survey if 1,178 U.S. children and teens -- aged 8 to 18 -- conducted by Harris Interactive, the research firm based in Rochester, N.Y., that's perhaps best-known for its Harris Poll. The surveys were conducted in January 2007 and involved roughly 100 children at each age represented in the sample.

Children completed an online questionnaire using several scales to assess their video gaming habits. They were asked questions such as: "Have you every played [video games] as a way of escaping from problems or bad feelings?" "Have you ever lied to family and friends about how much you play [video games]?"

To measure pathological gaming in kids, Gentile adapted criteria used to diagnose pathological gambling. Gamers were classified as pathological if they exhibited at least six of the 11 criteria.

Pathological gamers played more frequently and for more time, received worse grades and were more likely to report having trouble paying attention in school than non-pathological players. They also reported more health problems associated with playing video games, such as hand and wrist pain.

They were more than twice as likely to have been diagnosed with attention-deficit disorder -- 25 percent of pathological gamers versus 11 percent of non-pathological players. And they were more likely (24 percent vs. 12 percent) to report having been involved in physical fights in the past year.

"I think it does highlight that parents and kids do need to talk about game play and they do need to talk about rules," said Cheryl K. Olson, co-director and co-founder of the Center for Mental Health and Media at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

However, she questioned the appropriateness of adapting questions used to assess problem gambling in adults.

"It's one thing for a child to fib to his mom about how long he's played a video game," Olson said. "It's another thing to lie to your wife about gambling."

She also questioned whether kids as young as 8 can accurately complete a self-administered questionnaire.

If parents think their kid has a problem, they're probably right and should trust their instincts, according to Gentile, who also serves as director of research for the National Institute on Media and the Family in Minneapolis.

Experts say that when playing video games becomes compulsive and results in kids skipping school or not playing with friends, that could signal other mental health problems.

"What you usually find with these kids is this [video game compulsion] is just the tip of the iceberg," said Dr. Michael Brody, a psychiatrist in private practice in Potomac, Md., and chairman of the media committee of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. "Underneath you usually find a lot of depression and anxiety."

"To put a label like 'video game addiction' is too superficial," Brody said.

I, Keevan 0, want to ask you this: Do you think there is such a thing as a "video game addiction"?

Before you answer, take a look at some of these comments people made on MSN.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:27:54 AM
Ok i agree there are no-lifes out there that play games 24-7 and are "addicted" to them, but gaming is not an addiction. Like stated below i am 18 and are making all A's in all my classes give or take a B in Calc. I play video games all the time, if i am not at school or at my job, i am definatly on my Xbox playing Halo 3 or some shooter game. You can call it an addiction and some do need medical, mental, and, in some cases, physical help, your "addicted" category is too broad, too general. I am a proud gamer and i wont lie about how long in on the Xbox, but would you rather have me out "cappin a n-word" or "hittin a joint," no il stay home and pwn noobs all day long

Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:43:53 AM
An addiction, in my beliefs, depends on person to person. A hard-core gamer might say that video games are a "passion", while a grumpy old man who has never touched a console controller in his life might say it is a drug, or an "addiction". Someone who loves math or science, for example, to the point of locking himself or herself in a basement doing the most complex equations for days, might consider that as his or her "passion", and others who share the same interests might agree, but others might see it as an addiction.

SOURCE<-Clickable
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol/
Toddster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3148

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:12 am

Haha...I love games. Razz

Although I wouldn't call myself addicted because if friends wanna arrange something, I won't be sitting down playing game. I will be out doing fun stuff, but yea.

I always play games when I'm home as I'm an only child.

I do believe in addiction though.

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 am

Todd_Lang wrote:
I do believe in addiction though.

Do you believe in video game addiction?
Back to top Go down
BassetMan

Number of posts : 3815

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:53 am

yes i believe in it.. but im not addicted.. id rather go outside and play with someone... but man if im in the middle of a rated game im not leavin till its over lol..

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:02 am

Lol...I said I believe in it. Razz

And yes, I'm with Basset lol. Dam I hate it when Mum calls me to dry the dishes when I'm playing a rated match or something.

Number of posts : 4617

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Todd_Lang wrote:
Lol...I said I believe in it. Razz

And yes, I'm with Basset lol. Dam I hate it when Mum calls me to dry the dishes when I'm playing a rated match or something.
Or when the comp freezes, I walk around in the house hitting the walls. I\'m Seriously shock
But I wouldn't say I'm addicted, though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Keevan 0

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:06 pm

That's another thing. Everybody on the MSN comments page says that they believe in a game addiction, but they're not addicted. How do you know the difference between an addiction or a passion? A psychological need or just a hobby? Is there a difference between playing at 1:30 in the morning with an empty soda can at your side, or playing after-school when it's a beautiful day outside?
Back to top Go down
Kong Harald 6.

Number of posts : 4617

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah, first one is addicton.
Last one is the hobby-gamer.
Back to top Go down
Toddster
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:23 am

Keevan 0 wrote:
That's another thing. Everybody on the MSN comments page says that they believe in a game addiction, but they're not addicted. How do you know the difference between an addiction or a passion? A psychological need or just a hobby? Is there a difference between playing at 1:30 in the morning with an empty soda can at your side, or playing after-school when it's a beautiful day outside?
Ha...hes right. I actually never heard of something so good.

I don't do any of these, which I'm glad of. The latest I have ever played is until midnight. I never have played any later.

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:56 am

addiction.. idk all day u sit there and crave to play the game.. then u play it for hours... then crave to play it when ur done..

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:44 pm

What's the definition of "crave" for you Basset?
Back to top Go down
BassetMan

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:01 am

think bout playing it.. think u wont last if u cant hav it soon...

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:10 am

Haha...Thats my definition too.

REL VIP
REL VIP

Number of posts : 139

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Actually i know a guy who is addicted he plays call of duty and non stop and never gets off.. Ive never seen him die much in it and when he does he freaks out...I believe there is an addiction
Back to top Go down
BassetMan

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Tue May 05, 2009 1:11 am

sounds like it.. im happy if i dont die over 15 times and hav over 20 kills..

Royal Empires League United GOD, knows all!

Number of posts : 2791

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 am

I dont see how some1 could get addicted, pretty sad when you think about it.

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sun May 10, 2009 2:37 am

well itd hav to b a really fun game..

X360 Manager
X360 Manager

Number of posts : 433

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sun May 10, 2009 10:25 am

i have to say ive been addicted, but not to games

Back to top Go down
BassetMan

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Sun May 10, 2009 3:24 pm

probly drugs O.O

Royal Empires League United GOD, knows all!

Number of posts : 2791

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Mon May 11, 2009 6:04 am

well i think i may have been slightly addicted to aoe3 when it came out btu just a little

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   Tue May 12, 2009 6:19 pm

mm me too.. only when i had been online for a few weeks.. like last april/may i was.. broke tht in june tho..

PostSubject: Re: 1 in 10 video game players "addicted"   

Back to top Go down

1 in 10 video game players "addicted"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1