Welcome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keevan 0
Non-Administrating Community Manager

Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: Welcome   Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 am

IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING IT, SCROLL DOWN TO THE DEBATE QUESTION. Hey people of REL, this is Keevan. Here me and Polar will bring you all the news you need to know. I hope that this will bring up some debate, will let us discuss some interesting topics, and bring some updated info into the heads of our users. I'd like to start with an article I found while scavenging around one day. And I quote:

Nintendo Korea CEO Spouts All Kinds Of Wackiness

In an interview with Asia News Network, Nintendo Korea CEO Mineo Koda made a number of unusual remarks. Some of them were so odd that I still can't tell if Koda was being naive, arrogant, or ignorant. Let's take a look at some of his quotes and examine them.

"Regardless of downturns, consumers pursue something fun. Sales of our products do not depend on whether the economy is good or not, but whether we introduce fun products or not. I realised this through my experience in the video game industry."
I guess Koda wasn't around when his boss, Satoru Iwata, said, "The current economic recession is something that happens only once in 50 or 100 years. We have to monitor the market very carefully."

While gaming has been doing well (so far) during the economic downturn, it's unreasonable to think that the economy has nothing to do with company sales. Games are not a necessity and when people start tightening their budgets, entertainment is one of the first things to go. Nintendo could make the most entertaining product the world has ever seen, but if people can't buy it then what's the point?

In the immortal words of the Ginsu Knives commercial, "But wait, there's more!"

"We believe that the Korean market has growth potential as there are many people who are not interested in online games and who used to play online games, but do not play them anymore."
I guess it depends on what Koda means by "many people." Internet gaming is a huge part of Korean youth culture. The Internet cafes in Korea are a phenomenon -- certainly the busiest, most intense, and most popular I've ever seen. I'm also sure that the Korean government issues two cartons of if Gookang cigarettes and a copy of StarCraft to kids when they hit 15. While there's always room for growth, Korea has one of the most robust online gaming scenes in the world. I might be nitpicking here, but I won't for the next quote.

When asked about the rivalry with Sony and Microsoft, Koda said:

"People often ask such questions, and we say our competitor is neither those companies, but consumer indifferent to games."
Uhmmmmm, okay. While there's no arguing that the Wii has captured a much broader audience than the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, you better believe that Microsoft and Sony would love to have Nintendo's customers. I'm confident that each of those companies feel like Nintendo is a competitor. All three systems have features that are aimed at mainstream gamers and the casual market. Nintendo has mauled the competition in the casual space. All three systems have and will have games that appeal to core gamers. Most would say that the other two companies have done a much better job at serving enthusiast gamers than Nintendo has. The bottom line is (because Stone Cold said so), whether it's with mainstream gamers or enthusiasts, there's obviously competition there.

I don't believe for a second that Nintendo doesn't view Microsoft and Sony as competitors. The "we're battling consumer indifference" angle sounds very romantic, albeit, very naive. I just don't believe that Koda really believes that.

Anyway, I really hope Mineo Koda does more interviews. His lines are so wacky and quotable. Along with Sony Europe's David Reeves, Koda is one of my new favorite executives in the gaming industry. Hopefully, neither of them will be issued gag orders.

So what do you think of Koda's remarks? Am I being to hard on him? Do you think he's being naive, arrogant, or ignorant? Maybe a combination of all three?

If you took the time to read it, it's an interesting topic. Let's go to the debate question:
Do you think the world economy, especially that of the US, will affect the gaming industry?

Article provided by http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692444/Nintendo-Korea-CEO-Spouts-All-Kinds-Of-Wackiness.html#readmore
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol/
canadianstorm_12
Royal Empires League United GOD, knows all!

Number of posts : 2791

PostSubject: Re: Welcome   Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Deffinitly not, its the kids and teens who play these games. Many who have part time jobs and still buy games, I dont even have a job and Im still buying games lol. It may slow it down a little but I dont think alot.

Number of posts : 4617

PostSubject: Re: Welcome   Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Statistics shows that the average player is between 35-40 (USA) Smile

SONY are having economic problems and are are at a loss(?) for the first time in 14 years.
Back to top Go down
Keevan 0

Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: Re: Welcome   Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 pm

ps2 is still among the top selling units in the world, right by Wii and Nintendo DS.

They are still making more money from the ps2 then they are from the ps3.

(35-40!? Really!? Shocked )
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol/
canadianstorm_12
Royal Empires League United GOD, knows all!

Number of posts : 2791

PostSubject: Re: Welcome   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 pm

yes ps2 hasnt showed any signs of slowing down and theres still alot of games for it which I buy 2 lol.

PostSubject: Re: Welcome   

Back to top Go down

Welcome
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Royal Empires League United :: Off Topic :: Tech News-
Jump to: